Veteran animator and filmmaker Steven Woloshen introduces a variety of simple artistic strategies to create decay and to re-assemble damaged film prints into new experimental visions. This book includes a special DVD (NTSC) with nine short films created specially for this do-it-yourself, “hands-on” manual.
An excellent resource for film production courses and workshops.
Featuring nine chapters & accompanying films:
1) Chronicle Reconstructions: Creating Reconstructions
2) Zero Visibility: Reproducing Decay and Damage
3) La Dolce Vita: Hasty Archaeology
4) Scrapbook: Correcting Correlations
5) Fleeing Rotland: Revitalizing Obsolete Gauges on 35mm Film
6) The Homestead Act: Using the Earth to Create Decay
7) Editorial: Contact Printing and Film Looping
8) Vista: Abstraction and Reorientation
9) The Rosetta Stone: Creating Hybrid Images
137 pages, perfect-bound paperback, colour and B&W
Copyright Steven Woloshen, Scratchatopia Books, 2010
Recipes for Reconstruction: The Cookbook for the Frugal Filmmaker