Image: Two Found Objects of Charles Boultenhouse (1996) by Stan Brakhage
Thank you for your interest in submitting to CFMDC! Please read the information below before submitting your work.
How it works
CFMDC is a non-commercial, artist-run centre distributor. We are a non-profit organization with a particular client base, not a commercial film distributor. All of our agreements with artists are non-exclusive, which means you can pursue other agreements and self-distribute alongside our agreement.
Once you pay the $75 fee and deposit your film with us you become a lifelong CFMDC member. This includes:
- Filmmaker page on CFMDC website, with website account granting access to previews in our film catalogue for personal and research purposes
- Film page on CFMDC’s online catalogue alongside contemporary and historical work (and film print in our physical collection for analogue work)
- Access to technical services and other benefits. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details and conditions.
- Connection to a broader community of national and international artists, filmmakers, and programmers, including voting rights in our AGM
- Deposit more films with CFMDC for a $50 administration fee
- You receive 70% of all royalties for work distributed through CFMDC. Read on for distribution details.
If your film was made in the last year and fits our genre focus— Queer, Documentary, Experimental, or Animation— we put your work in a specialized compilation to submit to national and international festival clients for a festival circuit. We will submit your work to our focused client list (barring submission restrictions or specifications such as runtime, theme, premiere status, or other limitations).
Educational rentals are not frequently initiated by us; we receive requests from educators who might have an idea of what title they want or from browsing our catalogue. From time to time, we may create compilations for educators who request recommendations for films on a certain topic. We also occasionally send out emails to scholars who are doing research on a particular topic with a list of film recommendations. However, these communications are sporadic and topics vary.
CFMDC is always looking for paid opportunities to showcase membership work. We have regular public programming on our streaming website, CFMDCtv, and are always seeking out opportunities to create partnerships with curators and other organizations. When films are done their festival run we also seek out video-on-demand and streaming opportunities. If anyone might be interested in paying for your work, whether it's a programmer, gallery, or VOD platform, we are happy to negotiate on your behalf. By and large, we only work with clients that pay artist fees.
Please fill out our online form to submit your work. What we are able to do for a given work greatly depends on the film and our client base. Once we have viewed a work, we will discuss any available distribution options with you and you can then decide if you wish to place the film with us. Please allow up to 6 weeks after submission for staff to screen the work and assess distribution possibilities.
For more information, you can check out our For Members page.
If you have any further questions please send an email to members(at)cfmdc(.)org.